Alex builds AI-powered apps that help people break free from bad habits and into better mental health. We are looking for an ambitious engineer with an entrepreneurial mindset who wants to make a positive impact on the world. You will become a core member of the tech team and take on a broad set of responsibilities, working closely with a small and highly skilled product development team. This is a unique opportunity to become an important team member of a startup with huge growth potential and to join the adventure that lies ahead!
Company and product
Alex Therapeutics AB or “Alex” is a for-profit Stockholm based AI & psychology startup developing next generation digital therapeutics. The company was founded in 2018 and is currently run by a mixed team with expertise in product development, psychology, business and AI. We have recently closed partnership deals with a couple of international pharmaceutical companies and are now ready to grow!
Our first product is a mobile consumer app for Android and iOS called Alex AI - Quit Smoking where the users can track their triggers, get personalized support, and learn about their own psychology to quit smoking and remain smoke free. Smoking was the first unwanted habit we targeted, but we are now expanding our platform to launch new apps and help people with other health issues. This is where you come in!
You enjoy programming and like to get things done. No task is too big or too small for you. If you do not know how to solve a problem, you see that as a possibility to learn something–not as an obstacle. You are excited about the opportunity of working in a fast-paced and fast-growing startup where your work will have a large impact on the company–and a positive impact on the world. You either have some experience as a backend developer, or you are confident that you can learn quickly with the help of those around you. Aside from technical skills, you are a strong problem solver.
As a Backend Developer, your primary responsibility will be to work on our Java Spring Boot API, developing new features and scaling our services together with the team. You should also expect to chip in and help with dev-ops (AWS) and our Python-powered AI service. We do not expect you to be an expert in all these areas, but we will give you plenty of support to develop your skill set further–there is much opportunity to grow as a developer together with the company.
Skills & previous experience we are looking for
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in engineering, or equivalent working experience
- Strong proficiency in at least one programming language, and willing to learn new ones
- All-round skill set for backend software development (databases, REST APIs, object-oriented code design, git, etc.)
- Entrepreneurial mindset and not afraid to get your hands dirty
- Quick learner and hard worker
- Fluent in English
- Currently have required permits to work and live in Sweden
- Proficient in one or more of the specific backend technologies at Alex (Spring Boot API, AWS devops, Scikit-learn)
- Experience with the following tools: docker, IntelliJ, AWS CDK
- Experience with microservices
- Experience with data analysis